This page was updated on 11 March 2021 to include information about the #AskAni initiative:

#AskAni means people who need to escape from domestic abuse can find help fast by 'asking for Ani' in their local pharmacist. Full details here: #AskAni>>

Help available in City & Hackney, Newham, Tower Hamlets, Bedfordshire & Luton>>

Women's Rights Organisation UK - Arabic, Kurdish & Turkish language support>>

هل تحتاجين مساعدة؟

ئایا پێویستیت بە یارمەتی یە؟ (KURDISH – SORANI)


•85% of domestic abuse victims asked for help 5 times on average from professionals before they got effective help and referrals
• 1 in 3 children living in an abusive household are directly harmed by the perpetrator; additional to the psychological harm of witnessing the abuse
• 7 women a month are killed by a partner or former partner in England and  Wales.

These statistics are shocking at any time but we know that there has been an increase in domestic abuse since the Stay At Home directive was issued by the Government. 

At ELFT we want make sure you know where you can get help during this time.  You are not alone. 

There are services available to help you and they remain open.

We are committed to supporting you and your family to be safe and well. 

What is Domestic Abuse ? 

Domestic abuse can cover a range of coercive and controlling behaviours and can occur between intimate partners or family members. It can include, but isn’t limited to:

    • Coercive control (a pattern of intimidation, degradation, isolation and control with the use or threat of physical or sexual violence)
    • Psychological and/or emotional abuse 
    • Physical or sexual abuse
    • Financial or economic abuse
    • Harassment and stalking
    • Online or digital abuse

Men, women and children can all be victims. Domestic abuse occurs amongst people of all ethnicities, sexualities, ages, disabilities, immigration status, religions or beliefs, and socio-economic backgrounds. 

Report domestic abuse

Domestic abuse or violence is a crime and should be reported to the police - there are also other organisations who can offer you help and support. Call 999 if it’s an emergency or you’re in immediate danger. Contact your local neighbourhood policing team if it’s not an emergency. The police take domestic violence seriously and will be able to help and protect you.

Organisations that can help

Contact any of the following organisations to get help and advice about domestic abuse. Click on the panel to find out more. 

Please give us a rating for the content or use of our site?

green smiley (good) orange smiley (average) red smiley (poor)